Blog Description

I welcome you to peak through the window I have created into my unique and complex decision making processes and experiences. In doing so, I only ask that you look introspectively as well and make a decision to live and think healthier. Recognize and refine your own personal decision making process using what you read here.

Leadership... who the h**k cares?

The answer? I care. I care more than most. This is because I realize how difficult it is to be a leader in today's society. The question is not whether or not you ARE a leader, but WHAT KIND of leader you want to be. Where you are born, when you are born, your ethnicity, your status, your character traits, your experiences, and your level of self-motivation all play a factor. Watch the clips below to get a better grasp on what I am talking about. Then read on to better understand the importance of choosing WHO you want to be.
 
EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP VS DYSFUNCTIONAL LEADERSHIP Its interesting that I juxtaposed these two adjectives as if you must be one or the other. Truth is, you can actually be both an effective leader... and a dysfunctional one as well. This leader accomplishes the mission but alienates his followers in the process. This leaders stifles the growth of both the company and its employees.
In addition, we often equate effectiveness with success, which is a common mistake. Keep following me cuz this is where its gets tricky... Taking from what I said above you can also have a successful dysfunctional leader, or a successful but ineffective leader, as well as an unsuccessful functional but effective leader. This is why its important to get a mental grasp of the kind of leader you want to be.
Personally, taking inventory of my own life, I would say that most of my life I have fallen in the category of effective unsuccessful dysfunctional leadership. Only in the last 3 years or so have I begun to understand how to be successful and how to counteract dysfunctionality in my own leadership style.
Now if you're wondering why I have not mentioned "TOXIC Leadership" specifically it's because Toxic Leadership is only one type of dysfunctional leadership styles. Its the most talked about and widely understood, but the umbrella of dysfunctionality covers a wide range of totally uncool leadership styles.
(For more on this topic see what The International Institute of Management says about it in their Executive journal. I like the topic on page two titled "Dysfunctional leadership symptoms and warning signs," because Sometimes you have to see what wronglooks like in order to avoid it.)
http://www.lesaffaires.com/uploads/references/1281_DysfunctionalLeadershipDysfunctionalOrganizations.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_leader

MORALITY & LEADERSHIP
...coming soon.

WHENTA HOWTA WHOTA?
It's important for every leader to understand Whenta Lead, Howta Lead and Whota Lead. There are times when leading is inappropriate. And when it is the right time, what good does it do if you don't know how? And Finally, not everyone is equipped to follow your lead. Not everyone can handle your awesomeness. So you gotta make sure you're leading the right people.
Whenta Howta Whota is a great mnemonic device used to remind yourself to ask the following
questions when placed in a leadership position.... When is the best time to strut my
leadership skills? What is the best approach? Who am I leading? Read the key points below
to gain a deeper understanding of all three concepts.

Whenta
 - The best leaders also know how to follow. Sometimes jumping out front and being the go-getter isn't always the way to go. Sometimes leadership is sitting back and empowering others around you to make the difficult decisions and accomplish the mission. Sometimes Leadership is allowing mistakes to be made and then providing guidance to help those non-critical mistakes to be made

(MORE TO FOLLOW)

RACISM IN LEADERSHIP
Let me start this one with two definitions from various online dictionaries:
Racism-racial prejudice or discrimination Racist- somebody who hates others who are not of his or her own race; based on prejudices and stereotypes related to race
synonyms- chauvinistic, bigoted, xenophobic, prejudiced, discriminatory. check out the following myth-busters, then the meaty stuff written below:

1. We often misconstrue Cultural insensitivity with Racism. The word is so over-used. Just because your boss seems like a racist prick doesn't mean he/she is. They could really just be culturally unaware or ignorant.... then again he/she could actually be racist.

2. Being dismissive about racism in the work place actually perpetuates a toxic work environment. Its best just to call the kettle black and work to resolve the problem instead of acting like it isn't there. Effective leaders spot check themselves and their operating procedures looking for defects that stifle forward-movement... then they fix them.

3. Joking about racism or sexism doesn't make it funny. Although I think such jokes are hillarious, it shouldn't distract from the dire need to eradicate racist practices or intentions if they exist.
Now for the meaty stuff...

As leaders we must recognize when we are being perceived as being racist, bigoted, chaauvinistic, etc. Likewise, we have to recognize if our company's practices are exibiting similar characterists. Why care.? Because you are a leader and as one, its your responsibility to give a damn. They maintain an awareness of how their actions effect those aound him or her.

As a leader, if I am being perceived as racist than either A. I am and I need help, or B. I'm not and I still need help. Under B the help you need is becoming more culturally aware. Under A you need help either covering up the fact that you are racist in order to get rid of the perception or you need to seek help from friends or a counselor to resolve your issue.

See, the thing is there are many leaders out there who don't think they are racist but per Webster's Dictionary, actually are. But even so, they don't want to change. To that I say... that's totally fine. But at least cover it up, unless you want to be a dysfunctional leader. See, you can be racist and still be a successful and effectual and functional leader. You can be sexist, racist... you can hate cheese with a passion and anyone who likes cheese. ( I personally like cheese, especially New York Sharp Cheddar)... But does that mean that you are going to ban your employees or soldiers from eating cheese? Or that if you catch anyone eating cheese you will sabotage their career or pressure them until they want to quit just cuz they like cheese? (I see that ALL the time) Well, hopefully I didn't loose you with my cheesy example. But lets be clear. You CAN be racist and still be a leader. Now is it the best Moral practice as a leader? F**k no! But I cover morality and leadership in another category.

As a leader, even I have to watch my self in order to avoid the trap of racism or chauvinistic practices. With all my experiences dealing with discrimination its a shocker than I'm not a proud self-proclaimed racist, but I'm learning to regulate my responses and realize that, for being the kind of leader I want to be, racism for me is a no-go. Why would I want to become what I hate? And, at this juncture in my life, I personally hate racism and bigotry of any kind.

ROMANCE AMONG LEADERSHIP

...coming soon.

!!!!!CONFLICT RESOLUTION!!!!!

...coming soon.